Thursday, September 16, 2010

Medical week

I don't like going to the dr. I avoid it. I am stubborn about it. I put it off until I feel it truly necessary.

So, I have been having hip pain (for days after running) and back pain (worse than normal) for about year. Well, the back hasn't been really bad until about 6 months ago. With moving this summer and all the trips we went on, I decided to give all the running a rest to see if it helped the pain. I only ran a few times all summer. I didn't have a lot of time for it anyway. The rest helped tremendously. The hip pain was completely gone. THEN school started and Chris and I decided to get with it again. You know he is training for that crazy race and all. The pain started coming back. I go so ticked that I took ibuprofen (and I don't like meds) and ran anyway! Big mistake. Last week I was in so much pain. I could hardly walk my hip hurt so bad.

I knew it, it was time. Time to go get it checked out. I had also been thinking I had another polyp in my sinuses so I needed to get that checked out too. I went to the dr. and she sent me for a ct scan of my sinuses and physical therapy for the back and hip. The results of yesterday's scan show possible polyp and thickening of the sinuses - go see ENT. After 1 1/2 hours at the physical therapist today, he thinks I have a bulging disk and he knows that my hip was out. He worked and worked trying to get it back in place. He finally had to get another lady to help him. Seriously, my right leg was quite a bit shorter than the other. Definite cause of a lot of my pain. I have several stretches to do and go back next week. I really feel so much better already. I am sure hoping that after a month of physical therapy and strengthening and stretching on my own that I can go back to feeling normal. I really can't wait to get back to exercising!! I really do love it as crazy as it seems.

2 comments:

SheWolf said...

I totally get the exercise fetish--I am LOVING running and the last couple of weeks my hip has been KILLING me...well, I have bursitis in my hip (sounds like something an 80 year old woman gets, huh?). Anyway, got an injection in my hip and have been on vacation this week, so maybe it will be back in shape when I get home!
Hope you feel better soon!

Jennifer said...

Tara, the dr. said that I could possibly have that too. It is so frustrating to be in pain and not be able to do what you want to do. Running is addictive, and I want and need to be doing it several times a week. Hope the injection and rest helps you!